Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Back to the Grind: A Retail Life

It is amazing to me, thinking about how things have changed from pre-trip to post-trip. We really did alter our thinking and things are starting to finally move forward. Matt is currently working two part time jobs and I have a part time job of my own as well. We were looking for full time, but those are hard to come by right now. All three jobs are in retail, a field I at least thought I was well done with.

But something interesting happened when I started work. I realized that I had sort of missed the bookstore grind. I missed running around, lifting heavy books, helping customers, setting up displays, and being aware of all the new and interesting books being published. When I get home I feel tired and accomplished. I'm getting more of a workout than I have in a year and I am happy with this job right now. Everything is far from perfect, but at least we are on our way and moving forward.

What about you unemployed folks out there? Would you go back to retail?

2 comments:

  1. oh wow! it seems we live side-by-side lives. my guy and i too hit the road for a great many reasons and we blogged about it (and doing the book thing) and having returned are finding it a wee but bumpy figuring out what to do next. i'm also a bookstore veteran and surely miss the retail grind...good luck and we'll be following, cheering you on.

    ~mrs. a-go-go aka jek in the box
    a-go-gos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's really interesting. :)

    Our book idea has kind of taken a backseat since we are so busy with the retail thing right now.. but once I finish editing all the photos I want to get back to it.

    Good luck with your journey

    ReplyDelete