Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Busy Busy Busy

I apologize for not following up on this blog more closely to our return. I intended to, but things got crazy and more focused on fallenpeach. We had a huge craft fair to prep for and I'm still working on setting up a "show" for my photography in a local eatery.


But back to Nowhere Nerds. My article about our trip (written pre-trip) has been published in the new online magazine Joie - please go read it and read the rest of the great magazine while you are at it! My article talks about what I had hoped to get from the trip and why we were taking it to begin with. And I must concur that the Away We Go roadtrip had close to it's desired effect.

When we returned from our adventures, we both had to settle down and get some things out of the way. Bills and other things that were waiting us when we returned. After about a week things started to make their way back to normal - but with slight differences.

One difference is that we realized that maybe we should focus on non-industry jobs for a while. I was very actively seeking graphic design jobs before we left, and although I had a few interviews last Winter - the market had pretty much become dry. It was hard for me, pre-trip, to think about what else I could possibly do to get a job. I had tried agencies, looking for design work, photo work and theater work.

When I returned I set my priorities and realized that I needed SOMETHING. My unemployment was on the verge of running out (although a new law extended it for just a little longer) and so I turned to what I know best after design: bookstores. Within weeks of returning I had cold called 30 plus bookstores throughout Connecticut looking for a job. Several said to come in and apply but that they weren't hiring, one said they were hiring. I applied but too late, the job was already gone because they had been interviewing while I applied. I'm continuing to work on this approach, but come September I'll try something new - maybe an art store or something similar.

I suppose you can say I've lowered my standards for a job. But, my theory is that if I work retail again (something I never thought I would go back to) I can also work on building my business and more importantly I can have a steady income again that will allow me to live my own life for a while. The economy is not healthy and if I can't get a job making the amount I should be making at this point in my life (which is a whole nother discussion - what we grow up thinking our lives will be and what they end up being) I must get a job that will be steady - retail or no.

The moral of the story? Take a trip, it doesn't have to be as long as ours, and when you come back re-evaluate what is most important to you - that job of your dreams or a steady income - and work towards your goals not some job.

What about you? How do you deal with this economy? Are you unemployed as well?

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog thanks to Joie magazine. I am also currently in the middle of reinventing my professional self. I spent 11 years at an academic library, and I am now unemployed and trying my hand at freelance grant writing and project management. I am also toying with the idea of starting my own non-profit. I am in a small town, so without moving job choices are pretty slim. However, there is a pretty significant need for grant writing help for local non-profits. It is nice to be working on something that feels good again,and hopefully I will be able to pay the bills soon. I am really enjoying reading about your renewal process. Best of luck.

    You can read about my process at http://trailblazingmylife.blogspot.com/ .

    ReplyDelete