Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Amicalola Falls GA to Savannah GA to South Point SC


The closer we got to Savannah the more the clouds made room for blue skies. Savannah is one of those cities that I really should spend more time in. I've been there three times, but never for more than a couple days -and usually just for a couple hours.

I love the weeping willows lining the streets and the cute little coffee shops and the pirate city by the riverfront complete with hearse ghost tours and real trolleys. A lot of Savannah, though, is business-like and not very touristy. It's a strange place, but I like it.

I took Matt to Moon River Brewery for a late lunch, a place that my friends and I had liked so much last time we ate there more than once over two or three days. The food was delicious as I remembered and we even tried an awesome appetizer featuring sweet potato fries and a vanilla frosting like dip.

We wandered the windy riverfront and ducked into touristy shops galore. There were so many galleries to look in, we kept getting distracted with the art. Some of it was well known and some more local, all of it great to look at and be inspired by. Then met up with my friend Melanie and wandered a little farther into the city. There is a street that reminds me of Quincy Market (only because it is open only to foot traffic) that we wandered down and we passed by Paula Deen's restaurant (and the ridiculous line to get in) as well. Unfortunately, things were starting to close so we headed out and towards the KOA an hour away.

At the KOA we were pleased to find out that our tent wasn't as wet as we thought and that it would definitely dry for the next day. We also had a really successful fire, I think our first of the trip, and it was a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment