Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Arcata California to Yakima Washington



 At Breakfast on Day 12, I sat chatting with an older couple from Southern California. They were on their way to visit their grandchildren in Oregon. The woman had never really been outside of Southern California and was asking me questions about the snow we get in Connecticut. I couldn't imagine living my whole life and never going anywhere outside of my home town.


 While in the Redwoods we drove through another tree.


and we visited Pauly Bunyon and Babe the Big Blue Ox. They were much bigger than they look in this photo, can you see the people near Babe?


After a few overcast days, we were delighted to find blue skies as we moved farther away from the coastline. We followed a beautiful river through the mountains for a while, and were amazed by more beautiful trees and mountains as we finished off California and started into Oregon.

Once in Oregon we immediately started seeing signs of civilization; tiny little towns, herb shops and thrift stores abounded. We thought about driving a little out of the way to see the beach that Goonies was filmed on, but ended up deciding against it. Which was probably for the best since we hit about an hour of traffic once we reached Portland.

Portland, Oregon, for those who don't know (as I didn't) has a sky tram for public transportation! We saw it above the highway and I was fascinated and a little scared. I'm not a fan of heights.

We drove straight through Oregon and into Washington where we encountered a bizarre stretch of land which featured rolling hills on one side of the highway and craggy, rocky hills on the other. We also drove past a series of windmills, which made me smile, and eventually arrived in Yakima.

Why Yakima, you ask? Because one of my very first best friends lives there and I hadn't seen here in probably more than a decade. It was great to see her and meet her fiance and his son. We sat around chatting and just relaxing most of the time, walked around downtown Yakima the next morning. It's a cute town to walk around, though not very big.

I don't have very many photos for this time frame, for some reason. I think part of it is that I was driving and part of it was that we were going longer distances and didn't have as much time to stop places. Around here, also, was when I really started thinking about home and what is going to happen when I get back. I'm hoping that this trip refreshes me and helps me think of new ways to promote myself and also find a job of some kind. I'm excited to go through all the photos I've taken and see what ones I can use, which I can sell and which I just want to print for myself. There are A LOT to go through. It should be an adventure of it's own.

No comments:

Post a Comment