Thursday, April 15, 2010

Yesterday: Sleeping Giant

it was a looong day

 Yesterday we hiked for three hours at Sleeping Giant. We were in search of 5 letterboxes and found 2. Three were either missing or the directions were too vague. By the end my feet were aching from the rocks we had scrambled over and I just wanted to go home. Today, I'm glad we went and glad that we were out there that long - I just wish less of it had been near vertical.


This was at the top of the first big hill we tackled, well almost the top. We took it really slow and I'm getting better at handling steepness. I still don't like heights though.


We found a beautiful, but skeeter filled swamp that neither of us had seen before. A skeeter got me in the ear and it still kinda itches. Almost immediately after this we were scrambling over rocks on the side of a bigger swamp and couldn't help but make all kinds of NeverEnding Story references...


We did make it to the tower at the top, eventually, and munched on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches while we relaxed. Then we headed back down.

It was a long day, but it was good. I'm glad we went two days in a row, but now I need a day off for my legs to sort themselves out. I think that's the second longest hike I've been on. Matt's trying to train me up for a three or four day hike in the AT sometime next month and to that I say.. well let's see. I'm still super out of shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment